Where to Begin

I distinctly remember walking into art galleries with my father as a child. I remember the smell of the supplies used for framing. I remember all of the matte and frame samples hanging on the walls behind the counters. I remember flipping through magnificent works of art created by various artists and finding a new favorite in each new place we would visit.

Most of all I remember watching my dad as he would speak to each gallery owner. He would have them laughing and smiling the entire time! He would speak with them of art, the world, the current times. He would speak with them for what, as a child, seemed like an eternity! Eventually the inevitable would happen. The gallery owner would pull out their checkbook and write out a check for amounts that typically rose above $5,000.

My father made this practice look easy! He would simply speak and flip through his art cases and, the next thing I knew, we were off to a new city to repeat this process with a new gallery or interior design firm.

As an adult and an artist myself, I cannot say that it's as easy as he made it look. The world has shifted and a large chunk of the art community has moved online. I will, however, say that thinking back to the road trips I was fortunate to take with him, I am inspired and driven to make it in the art world in my own way!

This brings me to why I'm writing this post! My name is Linzy Kay! I am the daughter of two successful artists, Kati Roberts and Cadillac Jones. I am also the current owner of Contemporary West Fine Art. My partner is my phenomenal artist of a mother, who has reinvented herself as MKati. She is my inspiration and a large part of why I am continuing to keep our company alive.

Together we are progressively moving Contemporary West forward and have become extremely present in our local community! 

It is my heartfelt belief that art is healing. The power of creation has meditative effects that help guide and refocus trauma in a spiritual way. I use art, not only for my own meditation, but to help with women in the community. Every so often I am given the opportunity to visit the Catholic Charities location here in Phoenix that hosts the Prostitution Diversion Program. 

I am bringing that up because I need to express the amazing feeling I get when I see these phenomenal women create and just be. 

In class I'll have them paint on pots, canvas and even Christmas bulbs! It always amazes me to see how many truly talented people are in each class! 

I suppose I've drawn on for quite awhile now. I am excited to introduce who I am as an artist and as a present force in the amazing city Iive in! I am inspired by so much I've written about in this post, as well as by the community that surrounds me. I have truly been an artist all of my life. However, it has been more recent that I've developed who I believe I am as an artist. From graffiti drawings as a child and young adult, to the abstract concepts I create today, my very being is drawn to art, in all of its forms! I look forward to posting more and getting to know other artists and collectors as I continue on my journey into the art world. 

Please, do not hesitate to reach out to me! I represent, not only myself and MKati, but other wonderful artists through Contemporary West. I love feedback, conversation, questions and even a chance to work with more artists!

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Linzy Kay 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Believing in Yourself

Raising Artists

Why I Am An Abstract Artist