The Process of Creating a Process

          Before I begin this post, I want to apologize for it being late. I ran into technical difficulties earlier and then had motherly duties to attend to. Thank you for bearing with me and continuing to read! 



In the beginning I was creating because my hands cannot stay still. I have always felt the need to do more than one thing at a time. Therefore, when I'd watch a movie, I would draw. When I was a student in school, in order to successfully listen to my teachers, I would draw. When things get too quiet, I draw. Art has always been a meditative outlet for me. However, it wasn't until I opened my mind and heart to the possibilities in it that I truly began to discover who I am as an artist. I went in with ideas on who I am and, like every creation I have made,  I have continued to build on that idea. The journey has been phenomenal and it is still a wonderful masterpiece in progress!

With that said, I am interested in your journey! In this post I aim to dive into a few of my own processes in hopes to help inspire some of your own! Let's get started!


The image above is a collage of images I took during the making of a 48 x 48" diptych I finished at the beginning of last year. Each individual picture holds value to me, due to the fact that I spent a good amount of time on every character. The finished piece is called "Cosmos." This piece in particular was done by first laying the sketches of each part. With every sign I drew, I would gather ideas toward a plan for the next one I intended to draw. Once they were all on there I began filling in and shading the piece.

Not every piece I've done is created that way!


Above is a step by step collage of the piece I did tonight for my daily challenge piece. Here you see that I chose my color first. I do that by simply looking at the colors I have and going with the one I'm feeling drawn towards. I then lay my foundation, add to that if I'm feeling inspired to and then put down my content! I feel as though allowing myself to simply go with the flow and follow my paintbrush puts me at ease and helps keep my daily pieces as therapeutic as any large concept piece would. Once what you love feels like a chore it becomes less of a passion. Creation is for you as the artist. Viewing and interpreting is for your audience. Allow what your heart and instincts tell you to guide you. 


Every artist will have their own unique style and it will show with every brush stroke. My mother told me throughout the duration of my life, "There is no right or wrong in art." Those words hold value. Artists criticize their own work more than anyone. I believe this comes from a fear of rejection. As I said, however, the art of creating your masterpiece is for you and you alone. People will have opinions and not every style of painting or artwork is for everyone! Know in your heart that you're right where you need to be: on your way to a better version of yourself. The rest will fall into place. 

I have a line I often use on my social media platforms. It is "Follow your heart, follow your art." Never forget why you're painting in the first place: because you're an artist. An artist's prerogative is to create art. Don't fear yourself due to fear of other voices. Trust your own! 

Please feel free to share some of your process, ask questions, or even get to know me better! I love interacting and always welcome thoughts! 

Thank you so much for being apart of my journey and I would love to be apart of yours! 

Linzy Kay 

Follow me on Instagram @contemporarywestfineart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Believing in Yourself

Raising Artists

Why I Am An Abstract Artist