Why I Am An Abstract Artist

 “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”

-Thomas Merton

Throughout the duration of my life I've been known as weird. I embraced this openly as I was raised in a family full of artists. However, I cannot tell you that there were never moments of insecurities. 

As I grew, I realized that every flaw held beauty in it. Every mishaped perspective was valuable. It wasn't until I was in my mid twenties that I fully understood the scope of why my brain always seemed to be on a tilt. 

At 25 I was finally diagnosed with ADHD. My brain is on overdrive at all times. I finally was made aware of why i spoke "too much." 

Now, I will not speculate or attempt to fully understand the vast periscope that is mental health, illness, impairment or anything of that nature. In my mind and opinion, my ADHD is my superpower. 

It allows me to move quickly and do many things simultaneously. I have a need to consistently be doing more than one thing at a time. In my particular case, I believe that this is why my brain is so abstracted. 

Within that abstraction lies my artistic universe. 

Whether you are skilled in abstract artwork  realism, impressionism, photography or sculpting, knowing who you are is essential if you want to be successful in the art world. 

I've spoken before about finding your process. That cannot be done until you know where you want that process to lead you. When I've attempted to present my work to galleries without a clear style that is uniquely mine, I was turned down. One gallery owner, in fact, told me to develop myself and my style and then come back. 

So ask yourself these questions:

Who am I? 
What do I want my audience to see and get from my work? 
Am I happy about what I'm creating? 
Am I passionate about the content of my work? 
Can people tell my art from another's when they look at it?

I know my work is abstract. I know that I am abstract. I go into each piece with a clear idea and allow that idea to grow as I paint. I am passionate about creating each piece because at the end, when I present it to the world, it is then up to my audience to decide what the see and get from it. I want people to grasp the concept of my work while leaving room for their own ideas and inspiration. 

If you are unclear on what style to land on, decide which version of your phenomenally talented self you'd like the world to see. Then remember, no matter what, that creation is for the artist. Viewing and perspective is for the audience. 

I am an abstract artist because creating realism and any sense of actual reality would not ring true to my authentic self. I am quirky, colorful and a little obscure. 

Please share with me what kind of artist you are! Feel free to comment, question and get to know me! Most importantly, remember how much I believe in you!!

Linzy Kay 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Believing in Yourself

Raising Artists